Gladys Knight Concert

  • 2012-0721

The view from my Camera 1 position.The Indiana Black Expo is this week-end and the first concert of the expo was Gladys Knight with the opening act of Zapp.

Markeys had the contract to shoot it for the 2 JumboTron screens and I worked the camera 1 position.

It was an all day shoot. I got to Markeys about 9am Friday morning and didn’t get home until about 1am Saturday morning.

We spent most of the morning setting up cameras. A lot of the ground work was already set by a setup crew on Thursday.

Mike Logan was part of that crew and he was still there Friday, to help complete camera setup. Mike and I use to work at United Airlines together and I hadn’t seen him in a few years, so it was good to catch up with him.

Crew L to R, Bryant: on cell phone - Utiliy, Steve: with sunglasses - Tape, Robert: peace sign - Cameraman, Eric: sitting crosslegged - Director, Clem: standing - Cameraman. Behind them is the Catering Tent.Mike does a lot of work for Markeys and I just started with them, so hopefully, we will be on other crews together.  His 92 year old grandmother had died earlier in the week and her burial was on Saturday, so he left early.

Once we got everything working, it was pretty much sit and wait for about 5 hours. This is always the time when you really get to know your crew mates.

Real Taste CateringThe expo provided us with lunch and dinner meals by Real Taste Catering. Out door barbecuing at it’s best. They served some really good meals.

Once the concert started at 6p, it went for about 5 hours, with a few breaks in-between acts. First up was Zapp. I had never heard of them, but they were pretty good. The club band Con Funk Shun was next. They were just so, so.

Gladys Knight and her Manager/Husband just after band rehersal, on their way back to the hotel.Of course, Gladys Knight was the performer that everybody came to see. People started showing up and marking out their seats, even before we got there by 10a.

Her concert was very good and lasted about an hour and a half. She sung all the old favorites and even her brother Merald “Bubba” Knight showed up for a few numbers.

Everybody, including myself, thinks that he went off script and did a little bit more, on stage, then he was suppose to.

The switching equipment was very mobile. Everything was in crates on wheels.Break down wasn’t as bad as I thought that it would be. Pulling up the cables took the longest, but once we got that done, we finished pretty quickly.

All in all, it was a nice “free” concert, with a very large crowd, and a good pay day for me.